(cross posted on my blog at myspace.com/rectory)
This one is tough, because there is so much, and I am bound to leave so much out. No offense or slight to anyone or thing that I leave out.
My family-family- Ash, Robin, Mom, Dad, Sid, Ali, Uncle Rick and Aunt Nita, my brother Rick, Grandma Jody, Aunt Jan- God I am lucky. All of you have been so supportive of me and my dreams, even when I was a mess and the dreams weren't very sweet. As some of you who know me will understand, this has been one of those years where I am not sure where I would have landed (probably flat on my back or face!) without all your love and support. Thanks for being there for me. When I was younger I sure made it hard- thanks for never giving up on me!
To the rest of my family-of-choice- Kathy, Greg, Miles, Mark & Pam,- Damn are we good at going through the wringer! Amazing we have any bones left at all! I am so proud of all of you for being so strong and tough and never staying down for long, and never letting me stay down for long either. You know I would have if you hadn't all been there for me at various points and places. The floor of the ring is so damn inviting when life keeps driving you into the ropes and landing blows and all you can do is cover up and pray you can get a shot in that might save you. Thanks for never throwing in the towel so I would have the chance to take that shot.
To the 'what was I thinking that I ever lost sight of you' folks- Gabe, Hilary, Neda, Naz. Thanks for being found. I am walking around with a stupid grin on my face (nothing unusual there!)- there have been big chunks of me missing, that left a bigger and deeper hole than I knew. What was I thinking? Was I thinking?
Thanks to the Spirits of Art & Music. I would be a bitter mess by now without your gifts. I honestly doubt I would be here at all without music. Music has been my constant companion since I first heard "Because The Night" by the Patti Smith Group in 1978 on my clock radio. I'm not sure what I must have thought of that song at 11, but I knew it meant everything to me. I can still be there in my room, staring at that clock, and just being stunned. Thanks to Mom & Dad for taking me to see Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Jessi Colter back then...I never would have guessed that was what would stick but it seems it did!
Thanks for the die-hard supporters of MY songs & music- Pamela, Savanna, Mark, Gabe, Greg, Kari, Jane, Brian, Robin, Ash, Eli, Rick, Mario, Erin, Jeff Zentner, and all you fine people who send me notes about the new songs when they come out. Who'da thunk it? Thanks especially to Mr. Jim Cox (of 'Hello Mr. Cox' fame, and Fourkiller Flats) for a really cool talk in Che's Lounge one night where I told him I was starting to write songs, and he looked at me, dead serious, never having heard a word or a note from me and said 'you will write great songs, I can see it in you'. I don't know if they are great, but I know I got on it harder than I would have because of you saying so. Thanks to Jennifer Levstik for hearing the early ones and claiming they were good. I still have your book. Sorry about that!
Anyway, this could go on all day, and it's freezing and pretty and I need to go walk in the sunlight. Thanks especially to all those who have gone on before me: Grandpa Ocee, Grandma Honey, Nick, and Raven Cerridwen. I'll see you later. Don't wait up.
Steve Collie- Call your Mom. She worries.
Love
Craig
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Things I give thanks for-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment