Tuesday, November 25, 2008

November Rain


I seem to have been visited by the Latvians, so I went and took a look at my friend Peteris Cedrins blog Marginalia, and found that yes, he’d mentioned my site. So hopefully Latvians are fond of cats, as that’s the nature this blog lately.

I’m mainly focused on music right now, learning my way around in DADGAD and DADGBD and a bit of steel playing in cross-note. If I keep at this long enough I will end up accidentally understanding some theory, which could be good or bad. If summer is for riding my bike everywhere, fall and winter are for holing up and making music.

I’m also just fried after the crazy election season here. While I am quite happy with how that turned out, I just can’t watch the next 50 something days of destruction under the current administration, so I am fully entrenched in other things.

I saw two very different acoustic performances recently that were both great. The first was Kelly Joe Phelps, which was jaw drop-ingly amazing. Not easy listening at all. KJ’s jazz influences were out in force, and it was far more improvised than I expected. The second was John Doe and Kathleen Edwards. I saw John Doe a year ago with Dead Rock West backing him, and saw Kathleen at Bumbershoot. This show killed both of those. They mostly played together, JD on acoustic, Kathleen on acoustic, electric, and fiddle. She’s damn funny and as John pointed out, much better looking than Neil Young.. Really excellent show. If you like John Doe go see this tour! I don’t actually care what you like, jus go see Kelly Joe Phelps. Mind altering. I’m told this show was more out there than most, but he’s just stunning.

3 comments:

Pēteris Cedriņš said...

I am allergic to church signs. My poor pagan ancestors had to try to wash their baptisms off in the river. The river is cold.

Craig B. said...

Luckily my pagan ancestors couldn't read, and any way, the bright lights of church scared them. They preferred to spend Sundays talking to the heads of their enemies (pickled in cedar oil down in the root cellar) only some of whom happened to have been baptised. That and rutting in woodland glens like the forest creatures they were.

Makes me all misty-eyed just thinking about it!

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

xoxo LOVE John Doe and LOVE Dead Rock West. Dead Rock West is not only going on tour with The Knitters next but John Doe and Excene are both singing on their new record